Saturday, October 11, 2014

I really liked reading “The Gashlycrumb Tinies: A Very Gorey Alphabet Book” by Edward Gorey. I liked the dark humor with the pictures and how the end of every two letters rhymed. I can see how this could encourage kids to read, but is the dark humor really suitable for children? Most parents would agree that it is not suitable for their children to read. Kids are very impressionable and they take things they learn to heart whether it be good or bad. I wouldn’t want one of my kids to learn from this, even though I wish I could’ve learned from it in school.

For instance, “K is for Kate who was struck with an axe, L is for Leo who swallowed some tacks” (Gorey). I don’t know about anyone else, but I could see some kids trying these kinds of things because they are young and impressionable and not really knowing right from wrong in which this age group is targeted. Maria Popva wrote “making children feel comfortable and inspiring them to learn.” This statement may be true as far as the kids being inspired to learn, but I don’t see how these pictures and rhymes could make them feel comfortable. Actually I would think that they would be scared. Would anyone else in class want their kids to learn from this kind of picture book? Would anyone worry about their kids trying some of the things that are depicted in these rhymes and pictures? I know I would be!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I'd worry about children being so susceptible to everything they read. With the magic and adventures children watch on TV and read in books anyways you can't assume they'd do all of these things and a responsible parent would tell their child after reading this that it's just pretend and that they shouldn't actually go do these things. I watched Spider-man as a kid but I didn't jump off buildings trying to shoot webs from my wrists. I loved reading Alice in Wonderland but I didn't follow any rabbits down rabbit holes. This story is harmless, it's Macabre humor and for a parent it's their choice in buying and reading to their child just like every book. My husband and I just won't hide things from our children, creepy and fearful are emotions that everyone experiences and if you can expose your child to that feeling in your presence and teach them what to not be afraid of, like a children's book that's just apart of parenting. We read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and our nieces love the parts where we grab their legs or toes and yell and they all scream and laugh because of that moment of fear. To each their own but I really don't see the harm in this book. And I guess for those that do see any harm in it, don't buy it. But fair warning, death is evident all the time, don't let your kids watch Frozen because the parents dies and the girl runs off to climb an ice mountain or don't let them watch anything by Disney for that matter, Jasmine runs away from her home, Aladdin is a thief and teaches kids to steal, Wendy goes away with Peter pan, a home intruder could kidnap your child and they'd just think they were going to Neverland with Peter pan. I'm being facetious obviously but my point is just kids don't emulate everything they see and if you're afraid of them taking something wrong explain it to them. I watched the Blues game with my niece Kennedy a couple days ago and Oshie started fighting the other player and she asked why he was doing that and I said it was part of the game. If I'd left my statement there I wouldn't be shocked if she went to school the next day and "oshied" some kid as part of a game but I explained we don't hit and that's something hockey players do but only when they're allowed to and that she knows she's not allowed to ever hit anyone. Low and behold there was no call home the next day.

    ReplyDelete