Sunday, November 16, 2014

9/11 Poems

The first thing that comes to mind about these poems is a sense of frantic somberness (if that makes as much sense as it does in my head). It's a panicky mourning. Like no one can decide if they're more afraid for themselves or sad for the tragedy of the event. I think the ones I found most interesting were the Silent Room and the one simply titled World Trade Center.  They were both fairly simple, but really expressive and both great examples of that frantic somberness. Silent Room kind of reminded me of a Poe type reaction to the 9/11 attacks, just a slow descent into madness brought on by severe trauma. Then World Trade Center felt really honest and I think did a really good job of presenting what being an old school New Yorker was like after the attacks. The author claimed not to really care about the World Trade Center pre attacks, and in general kind of disliked them, but them being gone was ironically the worst thing that could have happened. It just felt real. Relatable to what living in a city is like. I mean, how often do any of us really visit or think about the Arch? When I lived in South Dakota, I almost disliked Rushmore since everyone outside of South Dakota made such a big deal about it, and I lived there so I knew how boring it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment