Friday, November 21, 2014

The first part of The Road


               The Road is one of the bleakest novels I have ever read.  I read the book Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and it was rather dark but running through it there was hope and ultimate survival against all odds.  In The Road the theme was death all around and all living creatures reduced to survival of the fittest or survival on an animalistic level: cannibalism. The landscape is filled with ash and various shades of gray. The only thing that keeps the man going is his son. I think the man would have succumb to suicide too if not for his son.  His son gives him hope for the future and for a belief in God.  When I purchased this book the sales clerk asked me if I had read it. I said, “No”. She informed me that it was very sad and she just wanted me to know before I purchased the book.

               The Road is a novel which offers an apocalyptic revelation but certainly not where the forces of good prevail and triumph over the forces of evil. I guess it tells of a singular good man trying to bring goodness to his son in a world filled with evil.  

3 comments:

  1. My comment would be that when Pandora's box was open the last one out was Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa,
    I am curious where you see the Man's belief in God? It seems throughout that the Boy has almost become divinity for the Man...
    ~MS

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete