Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Hey, what's up?

I'm Zac Smith. I really like just talking about literature and picking apart decisions in story structure and story telling. And although I do read a lot of pros, I think comics/graphic novels are one of the most fascinating mediums to look at that through. I think the theories behind sequential story telling are insanely creative from an art standpoint, and dialogue with limited narration is an interesting form of writting. I really enjoy people like Brandon Graham (King City, Multiple Warheads), Frank Miller (Sin City), Brian K Vaughan (Saga, Y: The Last Man), Sam Keith (The Maxx), Art Spieglman (Maus), Moebius (The Incal), and Jack Kirby (he really created most of the Marvel characters, not Stan Lee in the way people think. Google it, it's interesting). I'm not going to pick a favorite for anything because I'm not that decisive. So yeah, that's what I've got going on.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zac,
    I think graphic novels are one of the most interesting literary developments of the 20th century. I didn't put a slide in the intro presentation (maybe I'll add one though), but we are going to explore a few different excerpts from graphic novels this semester, and I am working on getting course on the schedule for an upcoming semester that focuses exclusively on comics and graphic novels.
    Welcome to the class!
    ~MS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art Spieglman's comics Maus were fascinating, the idea of using different animals for different nationalities to tell the story, his fathers story, of the Jewish holocaust was amazing to read. I've never read many comics or graphic novels but when I find one I tend to gravitate towards everything that author produces, I have yet to read the Watchmen but I really need to, I enjoyed the graphic novels of Jhonen Vasquez, he was the artist behind the Nickelodeon series Invader Zim but his comics were much darker and in depth than the show. Well it's nice meeting you, I look forward to reading your responses and dialogue.
    Sincerely,
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete