Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Introduction, Week 1 Katie Pummill


Hi! My name is Katie Pummill! I am a Secondary Education and English major! I aspire to one day become a high school English teacher! I am definitely a lover of all things Literature! I am a huge fan of Mr. Shakespeare! Macbeth and Othello are probably my favorites along with the sonnet “I Consider Everything That Grows.” I am also a huge fan of Maya Angelou! I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings speaks to my soul every time I read it! I enjoy mixing it up with young adult Lit every now and again too! I absolutely love Jeanine Cummins’ A Rip in Heaven. I also enjoy reading novels that challenge me to explore the natural world. Most recently I have read Sacred Feathers, a compilation of short stories reminding us of the subtle endowments given by Mother Earth! I am very interested and excited to read and discuss The Road! I have heard great things about this novel. An interesting fact about myself is that I am a vegan hence the interested in the natural world! I have also begun my first year working with Special School District and Rockwood School District as a paraprofessional! 

  I can’t wait to read all the blog posts and discuss with everyone :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, welcome to the class! I will probably go to English teacher hell for this, but I have to confess, I am not a big fan of Shakespeare. I respect his work and understand the importance of his influence, but I just don't enjoy reading it, and I have mad respect for anyone who can teach it, especially to high schoolers!
    ~MS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh another secondary education english major. I didn't think they existed. Every education course I've taken is filled with elementary teachers I always feel like the odd man out for not wanting to teach a child their ABS's and how to count to ten. I'm really looking forward to your responses this semester, I was a huge fan of Shakespeare early on, but I'm no longer his biggest advocate and that's just because I believe his stories have been played out and too many people "love Shakespeare" because they have to. Similar to other classic authors. I read Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughter House-Five" and just kept thinking, "I thought it was supposed to be amazing." I've read other works by him and really enjoyed them but his most famous novel just seemed so empty. Ehh to each their own on that matter I guess. I'm also looking forward to reading and discussing the Road. I love reading in general but it's wonderful to share the experience with so many people and to have to opportunity to share our thoughts and find something new in a story that we might have missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Special School District is incredible! I am so extremely blessed to work with them. Good luck with all your endeavors this semester Corey! In regards to my love of Shakespeare, I have grown up with a father who is an amazing english teacher. He made reading and analyzing Shakespearean works quite fun! Even though I enjoy more classical literature, I am extremely excited to jump into the post World War Two era. I have heard amazing things about The Road and I have already found the current readings of Mr. Jarrell to be enlightening. I cannot wait for the readings to come! Kayla, I am so excited to have another secondary education major in the class! I look forward to reading your posts and analyzation of the literature! I agree one hundred percent with the intemperance of Shakespeare's work in the school settings. It is unfortunate that some of his most thought provoking works aren't even recognized. I look forward to reading and discussing with you this semester! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck!! I also work for Special school District and I travel to one school in Rockwood. Maybe one day we will run into each other.

    ReplyDelete