Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Introduction


    Hi my name is Lynn Berger but my name on the email says Vanessa but I go by my middle name and I am not very technologically talented.  I am an older returning student and I read constantly but not what anyone would consider great literature.  I hate reading snobs! The reading snobs are the ones that if you are not reading “War and Peace” then you are wasting your time.  I like Jane Austen books and one of my favorite books is “To Kill a Mockingbird” Every time I read it I find some new insight.   I hate reading tragedies and that might make me shallow but I view reading as enjoyment and I like novels that are uplifting in some way.  I have seen Death of a Salesman and Willie Loomis is a sad tragic character but the play does give a person a lot to think about and discuss. The dynamics between the father and son are revealing.  I am going to try and post a picture so wish me luck!

P.S. I hate counting words just to make a longer blog so I apologize if this is too short.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn and welcome to the class!
    Technological talent not needed. We'll figure it out together and make adjustments as needed.
    One of the things we will discuss this semester is how the ideas about what counts as "Great Literature" changed during the 20th century. Who gets to decide that anyway?

    Length isn't really an issue for this post, but make sure the posts discussing the readings are well-developed. The length requirement is just there to make sure we are really engaging fully with the reading and developing our ideas.
    ~MS

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I found through my creative writing courses were all of the "reading snobs." I always thought I was well-read, but then the snobby kids would show up to ruin it. But don't sell yourself short, you love To Kill a Mockingbird: that right there is an incredible work of fiction. Also, coming from someone who has once or thrice been called a reading snob, War and Peace was tight and Tolstoy really nailed it. Congrats on getting back into school! I took a couple of years off and it took so much to get back in it. We show great motivation by leaving something stressful then coming back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corey, Thanks for the encouragement. I still find the sheer number of characters in Tolstoy's book overwhelming. I guess I will have to see the movie. (probably multiple times to get it)

    ReplyDelete