Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The fish

As I read, The Fish by Elizabeth Bishop, it encouraged me to think about childhood memories that I shared with my sister, and my father.
When the author explained the fish by saying, "and the pink swim-bladder," I began to think of when my father took my sister and I fishing. If we caught a fish, we would dissect it before cooking it. My father would quiz us to see if we knew the different parts of the fish for educational purposes.
The author also said, "I looked into his eyes which were far larger than mine." As a young child, it was hard killing anything or seeing the dead fish. I remember never being able to remove the fishes eyes and would often leave the job for my sister to do. She didn't like it either, but would do it to make me happy. This story is very touching too me, because it triggered such special memories. These are memories that I haven't thought about it a very long time, and truly memories I will cherish and hold onto forever.
"A green line, frayed at the wens where he broke it, two heavier lines, and a fine thread still crimped from the strain and snap when it broke and he got away." This caused me to think about our brave soldiers, and their constant fight for survival. Today, I turned on the news to a story about a young solider that is being held captive by Serbia, and this quote brought me hope that he too can be like the fish and break free.
Overall, Elizabeth Bishop's stories were very rewarding to read, because with though her poems had a particular focus, they aren't limited to only that focus. The Fish, triggered different thoughts and memories, and allowed my imagination to run freely. The power of a poem is truly amazing! After reading this poem, do you ssimy just see a fish, or something more?  Was there ever a time in your life where you had to fight  or should courage , such as the fish did in this story?

2 comments:

  1. You bring up some excellent points! When I think of the fish, I imagine a great being. It is more than simply a creature of the water, but a symbol of strength. In a sense, the fish reminded me of the "Beast" in Sandlot. Many a fisherman imagined what they were reeling in; determined to pull in the ever fighting force on the opposing line. He became a legend; the one that got away. Just as the fish, the "Beast" has an ora of greatness surrounding his being. He is this unstoppable force. When the fish was released at the end of the poem, I felt a sense of beauty flow back into the deep unknown. In a world where beings are treated as merely profit, it became profound that the fisherman released the glorious fish. As said in Sandlot, "heroes get remembered, but legends never die."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the fish was a survivor and the child that caught the fish recognize his courage and let it go free. The lines and hooks that were caught in the fish's mouth were his badges of honor and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete